April 4, 2022
The Complete Guide to the Complete Practice
In last week’s post, I shared the “why” behind my new program “The Complete Practice: The Program,” now streaming exclusively on InnerDimensionTV.com. In this post, I’ll dive deeper into the exact content so you know what to expect as you go through this new 30-day journey with me!
For the next 30 days you will step onto your mat six days a week moving through a 75-minute thematic practice combined of power yoga, yin yoga, restorative yoga and meditation. On the 7th day of each week, you will rest your body but you will still show up, moving through a 20-minute advanced meditation. Then, on our final day together, we will flow through one, very special celebratory final practice!
This journey is about balance, integrity, discipline, compassion and learning to live your practice off the mat and in the world. The yoga practices in this program deliver a truly holistic experience, balancing 40-minutes of strong, physical yoga with 35-minutes of the nourishing, healing and grounding styles of yin and restorative plus each class includes a brief guided meditation and rejuvenating final rest. No stone will be left unturned. No part of the practice will be left out as you navigate your 6 human dimensions.
One new and exciting aspect of this program is that each day of your program will begin with a unique invocation. I’ve written these 30 invocations to set the intention for the practice and to give you themes to take off the mat and into your daily life. If you’d like to keep these invocations nearby each day, to reference and re-read them, you’ll find a downloadable PDF that you can print or save as we move through this month-long journey together.
Below are brief class descriptions:
(1) Answer The Call: The time is now. Answer the call. For the next 75 minutes, and for the next 30 days, this practice is your call to action, a place of refuge, a time to reconnect with what is most essential. You’ll begin by moving through Sun Salutation A, a dynamic variation of Sun Salutation B, and a strong, twisting standing series. You’ll close in the most holistic of ways with a powerful dose of yin and restorative yoga to help you clarify the deepest intentions of your heart.
(2) The Clearing: Focused on the lymphatic system, this 75-minute practice will target the axillary nodes to reduce lymph congestion, improve immunity and clear stagnant energy so you return to clear seeing. By alleviating what has accumulated through a series of shoulder stretches and binds such as Gomukasana and Eagle Pose, hip openers and backbends such as Locust, Dhanurasana, Reclining Pigeon and Malasana, you will clear unfinished patterns in order to connect with your deeper sense of purpose.
(3) Because You Can: It’s been said that life is a marathon, not a sprint, and therefore a test of our endurance. This 75-minute class begins with a stamina invoking power yoga practice before you slip into a 30+ minute period of recovery. This is how we build resiliency – learning to remain in a healthy range of arousal without getting stuck in an over activated state. You will work, not by overcoming but by becoming. This class includes cardio invoking chair and plank variations, strengthening movements, half splits and more.
(4) Heavy Lifting: In yoga you gain strength using your own body weight. In return, you strengthen the bones helping to prevent osteoporosis, improving muscle tone and ensuring you have the physical strength to meet the demands of daily living. You will work hard for 40 minutes, building tone through Yogi-style push-ups, floating pigeon and leg strengthening movements but then, you will receive the benefits of your effort as you melt into single pigeon, dragon and more.
(5) Let It Go: Focused on the energy body or the Pranamaya Kosha, this 75-minute class begins with a power yoga practice into which breath work or pranayama is infused into every movement to activate your parasympathetic nervous system, re-oxygenate the body and enhance your overall well-being. You’ll move through Kundalini-inspired breath work, Lion’s Breath, Horse’s Breath, slow Bastrika and more as you release what is no longer serving you in a positive way. After a thorough cleansing of the physical and energy bodies through continuous flows, get ready to rest, restore and rejuvenate through yin yoga, restorative yoga and meditation as you finalize your release at the level of the mind and the heart.
(6) Just Be: We can work hard without moving through a single vinyasa. We can build strength, stamina and tone without a single push-up. Give your wrists, shoulders and upper body a break with this 75-minute vinyasa-less flow. Practice inhabiting and embodying your aliveness with familiar movements sequenced in new and enlivening ways.
(7) Knowing Truth: We know what is true by knowing ourselves. And we only know ourselves when we pause long enough to become truly present. This 20-minute meditation is a time for you to return to your Self. The practice begins with guidance and then you are left in the spaciousness of your own being with me providing brief, gentle reminders at 5 minute increments to support you in learning to trust your practice and your ultimate truth.
(8) It’s Time: In this final class of your 30-day journey we celebrate all you’ve accomplished both on the mat and off. As Lao Tzu wrote, “what the caterpillar calls the end, we call a butterfly” and you are ready to fly. For the next 75-minutes reap the benefits of all you have nurtured, cultivated and tended to over the past month through your dedication and discipline. You’ll move through Dancing Shiva and side plank variations in the power yoga portion followed by dragonfly pose, reclining hand to big toe and more in your final yin and restorative immersion.
Are you ready? The time is now. Answer the call. Let’s begin.
“The Complete Practice: The Program” is now streaming exclusively on InnerDimensionTV.com! New subscribers can use code SPRING30 on both a monthly or annual subscription to get their first month FREE!